Services 2017

2017 Services

June 2017 is very busy

Boats launched : Both lifeboats

Date :  15-24 June 2017

Launched 14 times

Weather : Very warm and sunny with variable winds.

The hot weather in June brought a hectic 4 day period for the Hayling Lifeboat crews, as kite surfers, yachts and missing children needed help.

Lifeboats were launched thirteen times during the period 15-18 June as the sunshine and warm temperatures sent folk scurrying to the coast. On the evening of Thursday 15th, three kite surfers got into trouble and the Atlantic 85 lifeboat helped them ashore, but whilst the crew were busy a yacht ran aground on the Winner bank and the smaller D-Class lifeboat took the three yachts crew off and landed them at Itchenor.

Friday was a day of rest but then the weekend kicked in and on Saturday 3 missing children were reported at W Wittering and so both lifeboats went to search for the, All three were found ashore but having just got back to the Lifeboat Station more children went missing on the busy beach and so a lifeboat went to search for them. They were also found ashore.

Sunday dawned sunny and warm and the beaches filled up. At midday a 4 year old went missing and both lifeboats went to search, one along the shoreline and the other offshore a little way. The 4 year old was found and a family who were cut off by the rising tide on a sandbank were taken to safety.  At 1 o’clock two 5 year old boys went missing but the lifeboats were not needed as they were found ashore, and then similarly the boat launched at 4:45 pm but was not needed.

Having had a busy day the crews were then called out again at 11:00 pm to assist a tender which lost engine power and with a yacht skipper, his wife and mother, drifting in the dark. We reached the casualties at the top of the harbour and had to wade through the mud to them. The two ladies were transferred to the D-Class Lifeboat and then we towed the skipper and tender to Northney Marina.

The month ended with us rescuing a small yacht in poor condition being blown onto the shore at W Wittering by a strong onshore SW wind. The 4 crew had come from France and had been at sea for 72 hours but had no navigation aids. We towed the yacht into the harbour, transferred to an alongside tow and took the vessel into Sparkes Marina where they were met by the Police and Border Force Officers.


Yacht with fouled propeller rescued

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 11 June

Launched at : 16:40

Returned at : 17:45

Weather : Bright and sunny but with F5/6 SW wind

The Atlantic 85 was launched following a call for assistance from a yacht with a fouled propeller. We reached the yacht ‘Amanda Jane’ and took her in tow, changing to an alongside tow once in the harbour. She was taken to safety in Sparkes Marina.


Lady with a broken leg assisted off the foreshore.

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Friday 26 May

Launched at : 13:00

Returned at : 13:50

Weather : Fine but with F5 East wind.

The lifeboat launched following a request to assist with a 61 yr old lady with a suspected broken leg, on the foreshore near Warblington. Medics from an ambulance were in attendance but could not get to the scene with their vehicles. The lifeboat + stretcher arrived and carefully transferred the lady on the stretcher to the lifeboat and ferried her to the Ship Inn car park where the ambulance awaited. Once ashore she was taken to hospital and the lifeboat was stood down.


May rescues raise a smile.

Boats launched : Atlantic 85 and D-Class

Dates : May 7,9,14,23,24,26 & 27.

Total Launches : 11 to 8 incidents

We went to a fishing boat that had electrical failure and to a yacht with rope round the prop. Both were towed home. Two kite surfers were thought to be in trouble but made it ashore unaided and a lady who went missing was found ashore.

We had a report of a sailing dinghy capsizing repeatedly but when we reached them they explained that they were practising!  On another occasion we went looking for a swimmer in trouble off Hayling beach, but found a lobster pot buoy!

Perhaps the best ‘rescue’ was to a paddle boarder who was reported as ‘clinging to a yellow buoy and waving for help.’ We found the man and asked if he needed help. ‘No’ he replied, ‘I was doing my Yoga exercises!’  We gently suggested he might be wise to do them ashore.

Night fishing trip needs help

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 7 May

Launched at : 01:18

Returned at : 03:18

Weather : Good night visibility with a F3 NNW wind

The 20ft fishing boat ‘Kruger’ was on a night fishing trip and was some 5 miles E of the W Pole Beacon when she suffered a loss of all electrical power. With no navigation lights and not able to start her engines she had no choice but to call the Coastguard for help. We launched the Atlantic 85 lifeboat and soon found the casualty vessel with a crew of 2 men on board. A tow was set up and she was towed into Chichester Harbour, then an alongside tow was established and ‘Kruger’ was taken to Sparkes Marina and moored safely.



Yacht loses power off Chichester Harbour.

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Tuesday 18 April

Launched at : 08:38

Returned at : 10:20

Weather : Fine but with a cold NE F4 wind.

A yacht on passage from Gosport to Brighton lost engine power off Hayling and made a MAYDAY call to the Coastguard who asked us to launch to assist her. The Atlantic 85 lifeboat crew found the casualty under sail and being escorted by a fishing boat SE of the harbour entrance. The casualty dropped sail,  a tow was set up, and she was taken  into the harbour and then to Sparkes Marina and safety.


Kitesurfing tragedy in strong winds

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 5 March

Launched at : 10:35

Returned at : 12:30

Weather : Strong F6/7 with F8 gusts and squally showers.

On Sunday morning 5 March Hayling RNLI Lifeboat was called to a kitesurfer in difficulties in Hayling Bay, but neither they nor the helicopter para-medics were able to save his life.

The Hayling Kite School manager made a call directly to Hayling RNLI Lifeboat Station reporting a kitesurfer in the water in Hayling Bay, not showing signs of getting back on his board. As the lifeboat crew were already in their kit and about to launch on exercise they were diverted to go to assist the casualty and the Coastguard was informed that the Atlantic 85 lifeboat was on its way. They arrived on scene in 13 minutes due to the low tide and rough conditions with a F6/7 SW wind at times gusting F8 and with squally rain and hail showers.

The experienced local kitesurfer had been using an 11m kite and had been hit by one of the squalls. Another kitesurfer saw him depower the kite but the next time he saw the casualty he was in the water and not climbing back onto his board, so he went over to see if he could help and found the casualty face down in the water. He managed to turn the casualty over and then with considerable skill towed him and the kite towards the shore. He realised however that he was not going to make it and so let the casualty drift onto a yellow marker buoy and he set off for the shore to raise help.

At this point the Hayling Lifeboat arrived and at first thought the assisting kitesurfer was the one in trouble but he pointed to the casualty held by the yellow buoy. The lifeboat crew took the casualty on board and cut away the rigging and kite and immediately started CPR. The helm headed for the shore pausing to pick up the other kitesurfer and decided that although the tide was low and the lifeboat would not normally beach, in this crisis situation he needed to get the casualty ashore. The crew used oxygen and continued CPR and the S&R Helicopter was paged. It arrived very quickly and the helicopter para-medics took over the casualty who was transferred to a stretcher and airlifted to QA hospital. Sadly we were later informed that he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Portsmouth RNLI Lifeboat crew were already afloat on exercise and heard the Hayling Lifeboat radio call for medical assistance, so they raced to the scene and transferred two crew to the beach. They assisted with the transfer of the casualty then once the helicopter had taken off and they helped to re-launch a heavy Atlantic 85 lifeboat.

Both crews returned to base after this very sad incident which none of the attending emergency services could prevent, conscious once again of the power and unpredictability of the sea and the weather.



Catamaran breaks loose after Storm Doris

Boats launched/diverted : Atlantic 85 & D Class

Date : Sunday 26 February

Diverted at : 11:40

Back on Exercise : 12:30

Weather: Disturbed after the storm with a SW F5 wind.

Whilst on exercise the lifeboats  were diverted to assist a catamaran whose mooring chain had broken. The boat had drifted into School Rythe, Bosham and was up against a sea wall and in danger of damaging herself. A member of the public called the Coastguard, but meanwhile two men managed to get on board and put out some fenders and then on discovering the kill cord still in place on the outboard, managed to start the engine. As the lifeboats arrived they had just got the boat off the wall so the D Class was used to help manoeuvre the catamaran into deeper water where  the Atlantic 85 took over and towed her to a vacant mooring. The men were transferred ashore and the lifeboats went back to their exercises having informed the Harbour Master so the owner could be contacted.



Fog creates a challenge for lifeboats and casualties.

Lifeboat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 8 January

Launched at : 10:30 and 12:15

Returned at : 11:30 and 13:15

Weather : Cold and very thick fog with a F2 SW wind

The lifeboat was launched twice to respond to two separate incidents.  The first was to find a vessel some 10 miles SE of Hayling which had run out of fuel. Given the foggy conditions it was agreed that the Selsey ALB would respond to this and that we would meet the Selsey Lifeboat and take over the tow at the mouth of Chichester Harbour.

Whilst waiting for this tow the Coastguard called to inform us about a second casualty lost in fog. The skipper had only Google maps on his phone to identify his positionwhich was thought to be in Bracklesham Bay.  Another fishing vessel, responding to the Coastguards call for assistance, found the casualty and was able to confirm its position. Both Portsmouth and Hayling Lifeboats arrived together, found the casualty and escorted him back towards his base in Langstone Harbour. When off Chichester harbour the Hayling Lifeboat stood down and returned to base leaving Portsmouth to continue the escort.

Finally when the Selsey Lifeboat arrived off Chichester Bar the Atlantic 85 was re-launched and took over the tow, safely taking the casualty into Sparkes Marina.




Kayakers watching seals not stuck in mud!

Boat Launched : D-Class

Date : Friday 6 January

Launched at : 11:40

Returned at : 11:56

Weather : Fine but cold with a F4 SW wind

An adult and a child were spotted on the mudbanks off Emsworth by a person on the shore who called the Coastguard. We launched the D-Class to two people possibly stuck in the mud but on arrival at the scene found two kayakers who had been walking and rowing along watching the seals. The lifeboat crew confirmed that they were the ‘casualties’ and reported them as fine so returned to the station.


Service Numbers 2019

Total Launches: 84
Atlantic 85: 42
D-Class: 42

Services Totals

2015 - 67
2014 -77
2013 - 86
2012 - 77

Tide Times

Tide Times & Heights for Chichester Harbour (Entrance) onSunday, 19 September 2021
Low Tide:04:05 ( 1.10m )
High Tide:11:43 ( 4.60m )
Low Tide:16:27 ( 1.10m )
High Tide:23:51 ( 4.60m )

Follow us on Facebook