June 2017 is very busy

Boats launched : Both lifeboats

Date :  15-24 June 2017

Launched 14 times

Weather : Very warm and sunny with variable winds.

The hot weather in June brought a hectic 4 day period for the Hayling Lifeboat crews, as kite surfers, yachts and missing children needed help.

Lifeboats were launched thirteen times during the period 15-18 June as the sunshine and warm temperatures sent folk scurrying to the coast. On the evening of Thursday 15th, three kite surfers got into trouble and the Atlantic 85 lifeboat helped them ashore, but whilst the crew were busy a yacht ran aground on the Winner bank and the smaller D-Class lifeboat took the three yachts crew off and landed them at Itchenor.

Friday was a day of rest but then the weekend kicked in and on Saturday 3 missing children were reported at W Wittering and so both lifeboats went to search for the, All three were found ashore but having just got back to the Lifeboat Station more children went missing on the busy beach and so a lifeboat went to search for them. They were also found ashore.

Sunday dawned sunny and warm and the beaches filled up. At midday a 4 year old went missing and both lifeboats went to search, one along the shoreline and the other offshore a little way. The 4 year old was found and a family who were cut off by the rising tide on a sandbank were taken to safety.  At 1 o’clock two 5 year old boys went missing but the lifeboats were not needed as they were found ashore, and then similarly the boat launched at 4:45 pm but was not needed.

Having had a busy day the crews were then called out again at 11:00 pm to assist a tender which lost engine power and with a yacht skipper, his wife and mother, drifting in the dark. We reached the casualties at the top of the harbour and had to wade through the mud to them. The two ladies were transferred to the D-Class Lifeboat and then we towed the skipper and tender to Northney Marina.

The month ended with us rescuing a small yacht in poor condition being blown onto the shore at W Wittering by a strong onshore SW wind. The 4 crew had come from France and had been at sea for 72 hours but had no navigation aids. We towed the yacht into the harbour, transferred to an alongside tow and took the vessel into Sparkes Marina where they were met by the Police and Border Force Officers.


Yacht with fouled propeller rescued

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 11 June

Launched at : 16:40

Returned at : 17:45

Weather : Bright and sunny but with F5/6 SW wind

The Atlantic 85 was launched following a call for assistance from a yacht with a fouled propeller. We reached the yacht ‘Amanda Jane’ and took her in tow, changing to an alongside tow once in the harbour. She was taken to safety in Sparkes Marina.


Lady with a broken leg assisted off the foreshore.

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Friday 26 May

Launched at : 13:00

Returned at : 13:50

Weather : Fine but with F5 East wind.

The lifeboat launched following a request to assist with a 61 yr old lady with a suspected broken leg, on the foreshore near Warblington. Medics from an ambulance were in attendance but could not get to the scene with their vehicles. The lifeboat + stretcher arrived and carefully transferred the lady on the stretcher to the lifeboat and ferried her to the Ship Inn car park where the ambulance awaited. Once ashore she was taken to hospital and the lifeboat was stood down.


May rescues raise a smile.

Boats launched : Atlantic 85 and D-Class

Dates : May 7,9,14,23,24,26 & 27.

Total Launches : 11 to 8 incidents

We went to a fishing boat that had electrical failure and to a yacht with rope round the prop. Both were towed home. Two kite surfers were thought to be in trouble but made it ashore unaided and a lady who went missing was found ashore.

We had a report of a sailing dinghy capsizing repeatedly but when we reached them they explained that they were practising!  On another occasion we went looking for a swimmer in trouble off Hayling beach, but found a lobster pot buoy!

Perhaps the best ‘rescue’ was to a paddle boarder who was reported as ‘clinging to a yellow buoy and waving for help.’ We found the man and asked if he needed help. ‘No’ he replied, ‘I was doing my Yoga exercises!’  We gently suggested he might be wise to do them ashore.

Night fishing trip needs help

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 7 May

Launched at : 01:18

Returned at : 03:18

Weather : Good night visibility with a F3 NNW wind

The 20ft fishing boat ‘Kruger’ was on a night fishing trip and was some 5 miles E of the W Pole Beacon when she suffered a loss of all electrical power. With no navigation lights and not able to start her engines she had no choice but to call the Coastguard for help. We launched the Atlantic 85 lifeboat and soon found the casualty vessel with a crew of 2 men on board. A tow was set up and she was towed into Chichester Harbour, then an alongside tow was established and ‘Kruger’ was taken to Sparkes Marina and moored safely.



Yacht loses power off Chichester Harbour.

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Tuesday 18 April

Launched at : 08:38

Returned at : 10:20

Weather : Fine but with a cold NE F4 wind.

A yacht on passage from Gosport to Brighton lost engine power off Hayling and made a MAYDAY call to the Coastguard who asked us to launch to assist her. The Atlantic 85 lifeboat crew found the casualty under sail and being escorted by a fishing boat SE of the harbour entrance. The casualty dropped sail,  a tow was set up, and she was taken  into the harbour and then to Sparkes Marina and safety.


Kitesurfing tragedy in strong winds

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 5 March

Launched at : 10:35

Returned at : 12:30

Weather : Strong F6/7 with F8 gusts and squally showers.

On Sunday morning 5 March Hayling RNLI Lifeboat was called to a kitesurfer in difficulties in Hayling Bay, but neither they nor the helicopter para-medics were able to save his life.

The Hayling Kite School manager made a call directly to Hayling RNLI Lifeboat Station reporting a kitesurfer in the water in Hayling Bay, not showing signs of getting back on his board. As the lifeboat crew were already in their kit and about to launch on exercise they were diverted to go to assist the casualty and the Coastguard was informed that the Atlantic 85 lifeboat was on its way. They arrived on scene in 13 minutes due to the low tide and rough conditions with a F6/7 SW wind at times gusting F8 and with squally rain and hail showers.

The experienced local kitesurfer had been using an 11m kite and had been hit by one of the squalls. Another kitesurfer saw him depower the kite but the next time he saw the casualty he was in the water and not climbing back onto his board, so he went over to see if he could help and found the casualty face down in the water. He managed to turn the casualty over and then with considerable skill towed him and the kite towards the shore. He realised however that he was not going to make it and so let the casualty drift onto a yellow marker buoy and he set off for the shore to raise help.

At this point the Hayling Lifeboat arrived and at first thought the assisting kitesurfer was the one in trouble but he pointed to the casualty held by the yellow buoy. The lifeboat crew took the casualty on board and cut away the rigging and kite and immediately started CPR. The helm headed for the shore pausing to pick up the other kitesurfer and decided that although the tide was low and the lifeboat would not normally beach, in this crisis situation he needed to get the casualty ashore. The crew used oxygen and continued CPR and the S&R Helicopter was paged. It arrived very quickly and the helicopter para-medics took over the casualty who was transferred to a stretcher and airlifted to QA hospital. Sadly we were later informed that he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Portsmouth RNLI Lifeboat crew were already afloat on exercise and heard the Hayling Lifeboat radio call for medical assistance, so they raced to the scene and transferred two crew to the beach. They assisted with the transfer of the casualty then once the helicopter had taken off and they helped to re-launch a heavy Atlantic 85 lifeboat.

Both crews returned to base after this very sad incident which none of the attending emergency services could prevent, conscious once again of the power and unpredictability of the sea and the weather.



Catamaran breaks loose after Storm Doris

Boats launched/diverted : Atlantic 85 & D Class

Date : Sunday 26 February

Diverted at : 11:40

Back on Exercise : 12:30

Weather: Disturbed after the storm with a SW F5 wind.

Whilst on exercise the lifeboats  were diverted to assist a catamaran whose mooring chain had broken. The boat had drifted into School Rythe, Bosham and was up against a sea wall and in danger of damaging herself. A member of the public called the Coastguard, but meanwhile two men managed to get on board and put out some fenders and then on discovering the kill cord still in place on the outboard, managed to start the engine. As the lifeboats arrived they had just got the boat off the wall so the D Class was used to help manoeuvre the catamaran into deeper water where  the Atlantic 85 took over and towed her to a vacant mooring. The men were transferred ashore and the lifeboats went back to their exercises having informed the Harbour Master so the owner could be contacted.



Fog creates a challenge for lifeboats and casualties.

Lifeboat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 8 January

Launched at : 10:30 and 12:15

Returned at : 11:30 and 13:15

Weather : Cold and very thick fog with a F2 SW wind

The lifeboat was launched twice to respond to two separate incidents.  The first was to find a vessel some 10 miles SE of Hayling which had run out of fuel. Given the foggy conditions it was agreed that the Selsey ALB would respond to this and that we would meet the Selsey Lifeboat and take over the tow at the mouth of Chichester Harbour.

Whilst waiting for this tow the Coastguard called to inform us about a second casualty lost in fog. The skipper had only Google maps on his phone to identify his positionwhich was thought to be in Bracklesham Bay.  Another fishing vessel, responding to the Coastguards call for assistance, found the casualty and was able to confirm its position. Both Portsmouth and Hayling Lifeboats arrived together, found the casualty and escorted him back towards his base in Langstone Harbour. When off Chichester harbour the Hayling Lifeboat stood down and returned to base leaving Portsmouth to continue the escort.

Finally when the Selsey Lifeboat arrived off Chichester Bar the Atlantic 85 was re-launched and took over the tow, safely taking the casualty into Sparkes Marina.




Kayakers watching seals not stuck in mud!

Boat Launched : D-Class

Date : Friday 6 January

Launched at : 11:40

Returned at : 11:56

Weather : Fine but cold with a F4 SW wind

An adult and a child were spotted on the mudbanks off Emsworth by a person on the shore who called the Coastguard. We launched the D-Class to two people possibly stuck in the mud but on arrival at the scene found two kayakers who had been walking and rowing along watching the seals. The lifeboat crew confirmed that they were the ‘casualties’ and reported them as fine so returned to the station.


Collision between two RIBs

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Tuesday 26 July

Launched at :16:45

Returned at : 18:00

Weather : F4 SW wind and fine.

After a windsurfing competition 10 young people were returning to Thorney Island Sailing Club on 3 RIBs. On passing W Pole Beacon the first RIB turned South but the second RIB continued East being hidden by waves from the first RIB.  The two collided and the 4 crew on the first RIB all ended up in the water. The helm on the second RIB made a Mayday call for assistance and the Atlantic 85 was launched  and reached the scene to find all 4 casualties were out of the water. The first RIB was damaged and so left anchored and all of the crews from the 3 RIBS were taken to Sparkes Marina to be met by the Hayling Lifeboat’s paramedic. Because of a delay in getting an ambulance to the Island the Rescue Helicopter was tasked but an ambulance arrived before the helicopter. Three were injured and they were taken to hospital and after a debrief at the Lifeboat Station the remaing 7 crew involved were transported back to Thorney Island by minibus.


Yacht snags its lifting keel on sandbank.

Boats launched : Atlantic 85

Date: Wednesday 20 July

Launched at : 01:00

Returned at : 02:10

Weather : Fine with F6 E wind

A 45ft yacht was anchored in Chichester Harbour and made a Mayday call when it found that it had dragged its anchor and caught the lifting keel on a sandbank. The lifeboat found the yacht off Stocker Lake and unable to raise the lifting keel. A crew member went onboard to secure a tow and as the yacht was gently pulled off the bank the skipper managed to raise the keel. Once in deeper water the yachts engine was started and the tow slippped. Because of the night conditions and the skipper still recovering from an eye operation, the lifeboat escorted the casualty to safety in Sparkes Marina,where they were met by the Coastguards.



Assisting the police with a man in the water.

Boats launched : Atlantic 85 and D-Class

Date : Monday 27 June

Launched at : 22:10

Returned at : 23:05

Weather : Cold NW F3 wind and almost dark.

Solent Coastguard asked us to assist the police in reaching a man who had gone ito the water, still cold due to the unseasonable weather, off Shore Road, West Wittering. We reached the  scene in 10 minutes but found that the police had coaxed him out of the water and so our late night rescue, and his late night swim ended with no-one harmed.


Jet-Ski in trouble

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 26 June

Launched at : 18:10

Returned at : 18:38

Weather : Fine but F4 West wind creating  moderate surf.

Solent Coastguard called us to help a broken down jet-ski off the Inn on the Beach Restaurant. The Atlantic 85 crew found the jet-ski and owner, who was in some distress on the beach.  A crew member went ashore and helped to set up a tow for the jet-ski and then the owner was able to go to his car unaided. The lifeboat towed the jet-ski to the station where the owner met them with his trailer.  Members of the crew helped recover the craft onto the trailer and the grateful owner drove home.


New boat owners run aground late in the evening.

Boats launched : Atlantic 85 and D-boat.

Date : Sunday 12 June

Launched at : 20:55

Returned at : 23:00

Weather : Dry and with light SE wind

Following a MAYDAY call we went to Mengham Rythe in Chichester Harbour, where we found two young men in a RIB that they had bought earlier in the afternoon. They were in light clothing and with no lifejackets.  Hayling Rescue was also in attendance but could not get close so a crewmember went the 100 yards across the mud to the vessel. It was decided, as the casualties were cold, to launch the Atlantic 85 to bring the cot stretcher and blankets to transfer the casualties over the mud. This was acheived and the RIB secured and the two men were taken to the Lifeboat Station where they were met by the Coastguards.


Distress call not an emergency !

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 5 June

Launched at : 23:37

Returned at : 00:36

Weather : Calm and clear with F2 SE wind

Responded to a call from a motor vessel moored at E Head whose crew were in distress.  The Atlantic 85 was soon at the boat and discovered 4 crew on board who had been having a convivial evening. When they came to leave they could not find the keys to the boat. We set up an  alongside tow and took them into Sparkes Marina where they were met by the coastguard.



Lifeboat responds to a medical emergency

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Friday 5 June

Launched at : 23:40

Returned at : 00:12

Weather : Fine with a F3 NE wind

We responded to a call to assist a casualty on board his yacht in the Itchenor Reach and found a 70 year old yachtsman in considerable pain and needing hospital treatment.  We took him on board and went as arranged to meet an ambulance at Bosham Quay. On arrival however the Coastguards informed us that no ambulance was immediately available.  The helm of the lifeboat decided to take the man to the Hayling Lifeboat Station where our paramedic could give treatment and await the ambulance. On arrival the paramedic gave medical help and decided that the need to get to hospital was urgent so he, together with another crew member, took the casualty to hospital.  The yachtsman was kept in overnight and the next day was well enough to be able to meet his crew, who had sailed the yacht back to their home port.



Sad end to a weekend visit.

Boats launched : Atlantic & D-Class

Date : Saturday 14 May

Launched at : 07:00

retruned at : 0750

Weather : fine

Hayling Island Lifeboats responded to a call from the UK Coastguard to attend a 57 year old local man having a suspected heart attack on his yacht moored at E Head in Chichester Harbour

Both lifeboats were launched taking a de-fibrillator (AED) with them, arriving to find an NHS para-medic and a Community 1st responder on board. The Search and Rescue helicopter was also overhead. RNLI crew went on board with the AED and under the supervision of the NHS para-medic gave CPR to the casualty for some period inc. the use of the AED. Once the casualty was more stable he was transferred to the Harbour Patrol Launch and taken ashore, where further CPR was given by an NHS Emergency Crash team and the RNLI crew. After an hour of trying the casualty was sadly pronounced dead at the scene and was taken away by the NHS team.

Our thoughts are with the family of the casualty, some of whom were on the yacht with him, and this service, a week after we celebrated 100 years of life saving, is particularly upsetting.


Two crew capsize their yacht tender.

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Friday 17 April

Launched at : 19:13

Returned at : 20:01

Weather : Dry but with a cold NW F4 wind.

The Atlantic 85 Lifeboat responded to a call from the UK Coastguard that two men were asking for help from on board the vessel ‘Phanton of Cromond’ at anchor off Bosham Quay. The lifeboat crew found two cold and wet men on board the yacht having moored the vessel and then capsized their dinghy whilst returning to the shore. They had both swum back to the yacht and got on board but had lost the yacht keys and so were unable to change or warm up. They had also lost the rowlocks from the tender.

The lifeboat crew checked the casualties and confirmed that they did not needed medical help for hypothermia, so took them and their tender ashore and back to their vehicle. The crew then returned to the lifeboat station.


Catamaran adrift off Hayling.

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Wednesday 13 April

Launched at : 07:15

Returned at : 08:33

Weather : Calm and fine morning with a SW F1 wind.

The Atlantic 85 was launched in response to a UK Coastguard request to investigate a partically sunken catamaran 1 mile east of the Nab Tower. A passing fishing boat had reported it there. The lifeboat found the vessel, a blue and white hulled catamaran, with one hull under the water and the other partially submerged.  A thorough search of the area found no crew, but a report from a passing boat was that a similar catamaran had been seen being towed out of Chichester Harbour the  previous day.  The UK Coastguard issued a PAN PAN call to try and contact the towing vessel but with no response.

The lifeboat crew considered trying to right the casualty but felt that might cause her to sink and on checking the track she was making decided that there was no danger to shipping, so with no obvious lives at risk the craft was abandoned. The Coastguard was advised of her position and the lifebaot returned to base.



Kayakers rescued

Boats launched : Atlantic 85 and D-Class

Date : Saturday 2 April

Launched at : 14:30

Returned at : 15:15

Weather : Fine with a F3 SE wind

We were asked by UK Coastguard to go to assist two kayakers, reported as in trouble just off W Wittering Beach in the  mouth of Chichester Harbour.  Both lifeboats were launched in case the D-Class was needed for inshore work.  The Atlantic 85 arrived first and searched the area but found no kayakers in difficulties so went along the Wittering shoreline.  Further along the shore they found two kayaks and their crew, tired after battling the wind. The two were taken aboard the lifeboat and the kayaks towed behind as they went back to the lifeboat station. The D-Class lifeboat, not now needed, also returned. Once ashore the kayakers were looked after by the Shore Crew and checked that they were OK and they then carried on paddling to their destination in the harbour.


Searay Sports Boat with engine trouble

Boat Launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Saturday 12 march

Launched at : 14:40

Returned at : 16:40

Weather : Foggy with a light SW F2 wind

UK Coastguard asked us to go to a power boat with engine failure in the Thorney Channel. The Atlantic 85 was launched and found the casualty, a Searay Sports boat with 6 occupants and a dog. They had anchored and after a conversation with UK Coastguard it was agreed that we would tow them back to Chichester Marina as the engine still would not start. Once safely back the lifeboat returned to its station.


‘Cocklers’ boat aground at Pilsey.

Boat Launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Thursday 10 March

Launched at : 18:10 and then 19:30

Returned at : 18:33 and 21:10

Weather : Cold but dry, with a NW F3 wind

The D-Class Lifeboat ‘Jacob’ was launched in response to a Coastguard call reporting an open fishing boat aground on Pilsey Sands in Chichester Harbour, with two crew out of the boat on the mud.  They were soon spotted and asked if they needed help. They were shellfish picking and said they were fine, but the lifeboat crew checked that they had adequate clothing and buoyancy aids as the night was drawing in. They agreed they were okay and would wait for the tide to refloat them. The lifeboat returned to the station and refuelled, then later on went back to the casualty as the tide returned and stood by till they were afloat, with engine running, and able to get back to Emsworth where the boat was moored. The lifeboat the returned to the station for the second time.


First ‘shout’ of 2016.

Boats Launched : Atlantic 85 and D-Class

Date :  Sunday 25 January

Launched at :  15:28

Returned at : 16:25

Weather : Cold but reasonable and with a F3 SW wind.

Both Lifeboats were launched at the request of UK Coastguard to assist a power boat with total electrical failure at the top of Chichester Harbour and to the East of Langstone Bridge. It was 4 hours after high tide and so the Atlantic 85 was sent for speed to reach the casualty, and the D-Class in case she was in shallow water. The faster lifeboat proved able to reach the power boat and took her under tow, so the D-Class ‘Jacob’ returned to the station. The power boat was taken to Northney Marina and moored alongside a pontoon.  The Atlantic 85 then also returned to the Lifeboat Station.



2015 ends with a suicide attempt.

Boat launched : D-Class

Date : Sunday 27 December

Launched at : 22:18

Returned at : 23:15

Weather : SSE F4 wind, mild for late Dec but sea temperature around 10 C

The lifeboat was asked by UK Coastguard to go and stand by, close to Hayling Bridge, as a man was threatening to jump off into a fairly cold sea. The new D-class lifeboat ‘Jacob‘ was launched, but on its way up the harbour was informed by VHF radio that the man had jumped, closely followed by a police officer. The two men were carried by the tide to the W side of the bridge where they were able to cling onto a mooring buoy. The police officers colleague then threw them a lifebelt, and using the attached line pulled them both into the shore. So when the lifeboat arrived they were ashore and the casualty was being escorted back to the Ship Inn, so the lifeboat crew looked after the wet, cold, policeman. An ambulance arrived shortly after this and the casualty was taken to hospital, so the lifeboat was then stood down and returned to the station.


Two rescues on an August Sunday.

Boats launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Sunday 30 August

Launched at : 12:50

Returned at : 14:54

Weather : Fine with a light F2 SW wind.

On a pleasant Sunday afternoon in late August, with a light SW wind, two different casualties found the ebbing tide too much to cope with.

The 26ft sailing yacht ‘Bridey’ had earlier suffered engine failure in Hayling Bay but was making headway under sail back towards its home mooring in Birdham Pool. By early afternoon however the wind had dropped and the tide was against them as they rounded the W Pole Beacon and came to a stop. They radioed for help and we launched the Atlantic 85 lifeboat and were quickly on scene. A crewman went aboard and a tow was established to take the casualty to Sparkes Marina. Once in the harbour the Harbour Patrol vessel came alongside and offered them a tow back to Birdham which was gratefully accepted.


Before the lifeboat could return to station another call sent us looking for a Wayfarer dinghy said to be ‘drifting out of the harbour.’ We soon found the dinghy which was in fact at anchor and fishing. The lifeboat helm advised the crew that with the strength of the ebb tide and the fading wind they would be unlikely to be able to sail back into the harbour. A tow was set up and the skipper asked if we could take them back to the East Head moorings. Once we had done so and left them at anchor, we advised the Harbour Patrol that they were at East Head in case they needed to be towed further up the harbour.


‘Star Runner’ rescued

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Wednesday 26 August

Launched at : 19:37

Returned at : 21:00

Weather : Light fading with a WSW F5 wind

A classic yacht lost all engine power and anchored in a nasty sea over the W Pole Bank off the mouth of Chichester Harbour at 19:00 on Wednesday 26 August. They made a PAN PAN emergency call for help and the Hayling Lifeboat Derrick Battle towed them to safety.


Star Rnner on tow

Star Rnner on tow

The Lifeboat Station crew had assembled for their regular Wednesday evening training session when they heard a PAN PAN emergency call from a yacht ‘Star Runner’ on the VHF radio. The Duty Launch Authority phoned the UK Coastguard and after discussing the casualty, apparently a 13metre 19 ton traditional yacht anchored close to the W Pole mark, it was agreed the Atlantic 85 would launch and go to their assistance.

The lifeboat quickly found the casualty but experienced a nasty sea and a rough ride with 4m waves caused by the WSW Force 5 wind and the shallow bank. After being in this sea for some time the casualties’ two crew were exhausted. Helm Andy Ferguson said ‘We approached the yacht to put a crew member on board but the bow of the vessel was moving up and down some 4 metres in the waves and we were in danger of a 13 ton hull coming down onto the lifeboat. On the second run in crewmember Steve Gosling managed to jump onto the foredeck with sea water cascading around him.’ The anchor proved impossible for Steve, the yacht’s skipper, and the crew to get up, so a tow rope was set up, the anchor rope cut and buoyed, and the yacht was towed south to get out of the breaking waves on the bank.

All went well and in better sea conditions they turned north for safe harbour but the heavy yacht and the sea movement caused the tow rope to break. Having re-set it the yacht was towed into the harbour, (pictured) an alongside tow was set up, and the yacht was taken to a safe mooring in Sparkes Marina where she was met by the local Coastguards.

This was a difficult rescue and one which has caused a former and well respected lifeboat helm to praise Andy Ferguson and the crew for successfully bringing the casualty vessel and her two crew to safety.


Sailboarders in the dusk.

Boat launched : D-Class

Date : Monday 25 August

Launched at : 20:34

Returned : 20:43

Weather : Wet with a F5/6 WSW wind and getting dark

UK Coastguard alerted us to a call from a member of the public about a sailboarder just inside Chichester Harbour, to the north of the station, and in difficulties. We could see a windsurfer being blown  away from the shore onto the Winner Bank and so launched the D-Class lifeboat. Whilst launching a member of the shore crew spotted another windsurfer further north in the harbour and capsized for too long. So the D-Class went to this second casualty, found a very tired windsurfer and so took him and his rig on board the lifeboat and landed him at the lifeboat station. The lifeboat, in the gathering gloom, then went back onto the Winner Bank to look for the other windsurfer, but shortly afterwards he came close to the lifeboat station to let us know he was alright. We advised him to finish his session as it was virtually dark by then and both windy and with poor visibility.


Power boat in trouble

Boat launched : Atlantic 85

Date : Friday 21 August.

Launched at : 12:51

Returned at : 13:25

Weather : Fine with a F3 SSW wind.

Transferring to an alongside tow.

Transferring to an alongside tow.

A power boat en-route from Windsor to Chichester Marina had complete engine failure when in sight of the harbour entrance. The lifeboat was launched, quickly reached the casualty and set up a tow, and brought her into the harbour. The four crew on board were relieved to reach calmer waters.  The tow was then changed to an alongside tow (pictured being completed) and the vessel was taken into Sparkes Marina.


Small inflatable blown out to sea.

Boat launched : D-Class

Date: 12 August

Launched at : 15:22

Returned at : 16:01

Weather : Fine with NE F4 offshore wind

The lifeboat was initially tasked to go to a casualty by the Nab Tower but as the boat was being prepared another incident was reported and so the Bembridge Lifeboat went to the Nab Tower incident. The D-Class was sent to help with an inflatable dinghy with two people on board and off the E Wittering beach, being blown out to sea on the NE wind. The S&R Helicopter had been called out and was on scene as the lifeboat approached, positioned so that the downdraught kept the dinghy from going further out to sea. The adult and child in the dinghy were taken onboard the lifeboat and transferred to the shore where they were reunited with their family.  The dinghy was towed ashore and the family offered advice about small inflatables and offshore winds!


Service Numbers 2017

Total Launches: 41
Atlantic 85: 30
D-Class: 21

Services Totals

2015 - 67
2014 -77
2013 - 86
2012 - 77

Tide Times

Tide Times & Heights for Chichester Harbour (Entrance) on Monday, 19 February 2018
High Tide: 01:29 ( 4.70m )
Low Tide: 06:49 ( 0.90m )
High Tide: 13:37 ( 4.70m )
Low Tide: 19:08 ( 0.80m )

Follow us on Facebook